Wednesday, April 29, 2009

WHITE BEANS-INDIAN-STYLE

I enjoy beans and I remembered how my friend, Nirmala, who is from the Gujarat region fixed some pinto beans one day. I used a can of Northern White Beans and this is my original recipe for this dish. I just created it tonight.

Ingredients
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 TB of olive oil
1 tsp of chicken base
1/2 of yellow onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
3/4 cup of water or chicken broth if you didn't have any chicken base
Salt and pepper to your taste

Use a sauce pan and heat the oil on medium heat. When it's hot, drop in the cumin and listen for the "singing" Add the mustard, and turmeric stir together then add onion and celery. Saute' until slightly transparent. Add 3/4 cup of water and the beans, and base. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.

I have several Indian cookbooks and now I'll go and check to read up on it. It's been fun to try my hand at this one.

No comments: