Saturday, January 16, 2010

NO Seafood Crab Boil

If you are a lover of the crawfish, shrimp, and crab boil in a bag, after reading this, you might say why even bother. If you don't put shrimp, crabs, or crawfish, do you really have 'boil? But I beg to differ with you.

I am not allergic to seafood, but I don't eat shrimp, crab, crawfish, and pork. I do eat several types of fish, though. The taste of the crab boil in a bag is something that I like very much. It's ingredients are mustard seed, coriander seed, cayenne pepper, bay leves, dill seed, and allspice. The combination of all of those spices are marvelous. So this is what I did.

The meat I used was some chicken wings that had been marinated in bourban sauce. I cut the tips of the wings off. You can also use some type of turkey or beef polish sausage, too.

I had six small ears of corn around and ten red and white small potatoes that were cut in half.

I followed the directions on the box. Poured 3 quarts of water in a large pan and added the crab boil in the bag. I put the chicken wings in first (2 lbs) and corn and boiled them for about 30 minutes, next I added the potatoes and cooked them for 15 minutes or until tender. I added what needed to be cooked for the time required so to not over cook anything. You do need about 4 TB salt and I used sea salt. I didn't add anymore cayenne pepper and I am glad. I like the spice, but I don't do well with real hot, hot food. I also added a seeded lemon that I quartered.

The bread that goes well with this is some good cornbread. Ina Garten has a wonderful recipe that you can't beat!

I think the corn and potatoes are delicious with the seasonings.

There's about 3-4 servings.
Good eating!

No comments: